Web Design Client Resources
I've created this page to provide a little help to clients who are new to Squarespace. Dive in!
Squarespace is an all-inclusive platform that manages your hosting, domain, email and security. Squarespace also automatically backups your site and provides 24-7 customer service support to all members. Contact Squarespace here or jump onto their Help menu for a whole series of step-by-step guides and videos that can answer most questions.
When you log into your site, you are automatically put into edit mode, and you can access everything on your website from this menu.
Here are some common 'how to's' of updating your site:
You can add images to any page or blog post.
- In edit mode, hover over the left side of the page. A sideways 'tear' shape appears, click this for a list of options including insert images and video
- Give your image a short, unique and descriptive file name. Use lowercase, avoid numbers and separate words with dashes, eg lilanigoonesena-what-to-expect-from-your-web-designer
- It is best to save two sizes of all your images on your computer – an original (for safekeeping) and a smaller file that you can resize (using your standard computer image editing software, eg Preview) to between 600 and 800 pixels. Use the smaller file for your website.
- I strongly recommend dropping all your images into a free image resizing program like TinyJpg to shrink files right down.
- If you wish to click on the image and go to another website, add that page in the clickthrough URL.
- You can resize image blocks by dragging the corners.
- You can drag image blocks (and other content blocks) around the page
- Video uploads need to come through a site like You Tube or Vimeo
Set up your blog
Here's a video about setting up a blog on your site, writing a post and customising your blog page.
Blog post tips
The style and design of your blog posts will depend on your template. See more about blog styles here.
- Think about your categories before you set up your blog
- You can change the published date to the future (scheduled) or the past under Draft
- Include keywords in your blog title, post description and throughout your post
- Include descriptive backlinks to other sites and your other posts where possible
- An "About the author" spiel at the bottom of each post is great for SEO
- Include a thumbnail image and a short excerpt in the Options tab
- Post image sizes are about 800 pixels wide
- A featured image is quite small at about 250 pixels wide
- Post directly to your connected social media accounts in the Social tab
SEO, page titles and site descriptions
SEO (search engine optimisation) is not an exact science and unfortunately, there's no fixed formula to getting onto page 1 of a Google search. But there are lots things you can do to increase your online profile, and gain traffic and clients.
Squarespace automatically optimises your site without the need to use plugins. It provides a sitemap and allows for personalised page, site, title and image descriptions.
I have already written your page and site descriptions, using your SEO keywords but if you wish to, here's how to change them. Your keywords are in your Client Information form. Note that these are based on certain parameters (city, country) and at a certain time.
- Use your SEO keywords as often as possible (without reeling off a list) in your blog post titles; post, page and image descriptions; file names; URLs; and through the body of your page content and blog posts.
- Submit your sitemap to Google (let Google know that your site exists. Note: You will need a Google account to do this).
- You no longer need to submit your updated content to Google; the Google bots regularly trawl the web for new content
- Use relevant words in your links. Eg: instead of writing "Click here to contact Lilani Goonesena", write "Get in touch. Contact Lilani Goonesena".
- Google rewards sites that post recent and relevant content, so update your site regularly through blog posts or news.
- Register with Google My Business for local SEO opportunities. Be sure to complete your whole profile.
- Get backlinks to your website wherever possible - through your clients' websites, social media, online publications, and other reputable sites. It's vital for driving traffic and establishing your site as trustworthy with Google.
Further SEO resources: SEO and Squarespace overview, Increasing your site’s visibility to search engines (Squarespace}, Elle & Co's SEO made simple (Squarespace) and Kate Toon's 10-Day SEO Challenge.
Connect social media accounts
Your social media icons display differently depending on your template - in the header, footer, or on specific pages of your choice. You can also add a social block at any point on a page or blog post. First, you need to connect your accounts and give Squarespace permission to add them.
- Go to Settings > Connected Accounts > Connect account
- Choose which account you want and enter your passwords in the new window that opens
- Return to the homepage and you’ll see your social media accounts in the social block area
- You can also add social icons to blog posts, sidebars and your footer
The Style Editor is where you can change colours, fonts, sizing, padding around sections etc. I have customised this with your branding but if you'd like to change something.
• If you want to edit the style of content on a particular page, you need to choose that page in the design menu before going to the style editor. That way, you can see the changes as you edit.
Currently, I am listed as an administrator on your site. By the time our project has finished, I'll have transferred ownership to you.
You can remove me as your administrator or remove my permissions (whereby I’m still listed as a contributor but cannot change anything on the site).
The Personal plan allows a maximum of two contributors. The Business plan has unlimited contributors.
I hope you find this helpful in maintaining your awesome Squarespace website! I am always updating this page so please let me know if there's something else you'd like to see here, or contact me directly.